Friday 13 July 2007

Strike of Geeky Genius


Whenever a friend and I catch up it is almost guaranteed that some kind of meteorological activity will follow. It's got to the point where we joke that our combined energy summons storms.

At all other times if I want to indulge my geeky side and predict where and when lightening will strike I could use the StrikeAlert device

The StrikeAlert device detects electromagnetic pulses that indicate the proximity of cloud-to-ground lightning (cloud to cloud usually doesn't register). It will tell you whether the most recent strike is within 20-40 miles, 12-24 miles, 6-12 miles or within 6 miles.

The promotional material focuses the device's safety benefits.

I would probably use it to pretend I am all Thor-like and can command thunder at will but then I would have to get an outfit with a cape to look the part.

No comments: