Monday 25 June 2007

Paint By Numbers - for dining etiquette


I was quite young the first time I encountered dining etiquette; at my great-aunts Regina and Elvetzia's house for Sunday dinner (which was served at lunch, it's a country Australian thing). They were as formal as their names, which was terrifying to me at that age.

I remember looking at what appeared to be hundreds of silver knifes, forks, spoons and plates and almost having a panic attack. Fortunately my father sensed my horror and whispered into my ear "your bread plate is to the left, start on the outside and work your way in with the cutlery..."

The potential catastrophe was adverted and my great-aunts commented "What lovely manners the children have" Phew!

If only we'd had these nifty placemats from www.yallbehave.com. I think they are fabulous and ultra cool, even if you do know where to put your salad fork.

No comments: