Monday 18 June 2007

On my life list


Painting:Gentille Bellini


We all have lists of places we'd like to visit or live; I'm sure my list is unlikely to ever be exhausted; no matter how much we travel.

Then there are the lists that further up the ante by combing particular events in particular places so that we double-covet them. For some people it's: Carnavale in Rio de Janeiro; San Fermin (the running of the bulls) in Pamplona; Holi (paint throwing festival) in India; or Oktoberfest (mecca for Aussie beer drinkers) in Munich. There really is something for everyone.

The number one coveted place-meets-event on my list is the Venice Biennale.

I've been to Venice a couple of times; going there in itself again I'm ambivalent about; but the idea of going during what I consider to be the mother of all contemporary art festivals would be out of this world. I would be so excited I wouldn't even get galleried-out (affliction caused by excessive viewing of art in a short period of time).

This is the year of the festival. Sigh, maybe next time.

What's your ultimate destination-meets-event?

2 comments:

Gregory Szopa said...

Thats easy.... FIFA WORLD CUP FINAL!!!!

I would drop everything to sit in at Wembley or San Paolo Stadium and witness "the beautiful game"!!! ... One day....

Anonymous said...

When we lived at the gibbon and watched Fashion TV for hours on end they always asked us if "we want to be a model, do we want to go to Monte Carlo" to which I dutifully replied with some enthusiasim "yes, yes I do". Fashion TV would then show us all these models having a party at Jimmy'z in Monaco and I would turn to Mongo, Timmy/Jonesy and say "pack your bags where all going to Jimmy'z." Remeber Tahiti in 5 is brewing.