Thursday 7 June 2007

Memories of Things Lost - Weather House


There are objects that seem to have simply disappeared from our lives. Things that were commonplace when we were small children, that are just gone, often without us even really noticing it. Then occasionally we remember them fondly.

I remembered one of those things today.

When I was a very little girl I was utterly obsessed with my grandparents' weather house.

I would spend hours rushing back and forth from the living room into the hall (where the weather house was kept) to see if it was the man or the woman who was out, telling me if the weather was wet or fine (I always liked that the woman indicated fine weather).

I used to wonder what they did when the other one was outside. What was their house like inside the weather house? Did the man mind having to always go out with his umbrella when it was going to rain?

Of course it helped that everyone in my family has a mild obsession with meteorological measurements and activity. I call it our weather hereditary.

Forget the weather channel with its horrible Muzak I think I need to get myself a weather house because even if it's not always accurate, it will make me happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, I couldn't get enough of that thing. When I saw the picture before reading your article I immediately pictured the old weather house. Coincidently before I opened upi your blog, i just wrote you an email about Nonno.

Clare said...

See we are psychically synchronized regardless of how much land and ocean we put between us.

cxx