Tuesday 10 April 2007

Quite the Orchard - 100 million Apple iPods



Apple® today announced that the 100 millionth iPod® has been sold, making the iPod the fastest selling music player in history. The first iPod was sold five and a half years ago, in November 2001, and since then Apple has introduced more than 10 new iPod models.

“At this historic milestone, we want to thank music lovers everywhere for making iPod such an incredible success,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO."

Press Contact:Tom Neumayr, Apple

---

I own a shuffle and just about everyone I know owns some manifestation of an iPod, be it a Nano or Mini. One friend (who admittedly does work for Apple) owns five, each one devoted to a different type of music.

It wasn't long ago that seeing the white ears buds on someone as they walked down the street was a designation of the 'cool techno-hip'. I still remember arriving in Toronto and seeing the posters and ads with the black silhouettes on brightly coloured backgrounds dancing to 'Do You Want To Be My Girl' by Melbourne band Jet.

Despite not normally being interested in technology (I was using a Sony Walkman radio/tape deck at the time and owned all of 13 CDs, yes 13) I desperately wanted one and soon joined the 'revolution'. I loved the packaging almost as much as the product, as it often the way with anything Apple.

Call it what you wish, I do love my iPod and it would appear so do 100 other million people.

Howze them apples!

No comments: