Thursday 19 April 2007

Cuba - Gettin' Around Havana, Photo#16, 17 & 18




Photo# 16, 17 & 18
There are a multitude of choices for getting around Havana, though we did everything on foot.

I was quite desperate to catch a ride in one of the 'bubble taxis' as I called them but alas it wasn't meant to be.

As in other cities in the world, the horse and carriages were pretty much only for tourists. Yet, they looked so pretty and I gave a horse a pat.

We've all heard about the 1950s classic cars in Cuba. I was uncharacteristically cynical enough to think they would only be in tourist areas for show. I was utterly wrong, these cars are everywhere, driven by normal people. Most demonstrated Cubans loved of painting over things and were brightly coloured. My favourite was a 1950s Mercedes that had a fan in it, not air-conditioning but an actual motorized fan that was attached to the dashboard.

I promise this is the second last posting of photos from my Cuban trip. Thank you for your indulgence. The last post will concern my ongoing haunting of Hemmingway's ghost.

Photos: G.Szopa

No comments: