Friday 13 April 2007

Here comes the aesthetic nightmare...

One of my favourite couples ever, Kirsten and Frank, recently announced their engagement after dating for eight years. I am very excited for them and will be busting my arse to try to make it to Melbourne for the wedding, as I would be miserable if I missed it.

Congratulations Kirsten and Frank!


I love weddings as I think they are not only the ultimate demonstration of optimism in these somewhat cynical times but great parties.

Their happy announcement made me reflect on how in recent years the emergence of the term 'bridizalla' has given weddings a different twist, as some are indeed absurd in their excesses. I have also at times been completely baffled by women, who under normal circumstances I thought to have reasonable dress sense, who chose the most hideous wedding dresses, usually featuring an unrestrained explosion of lace, tulle, satin, taffeta and beading. For a while I had a theory that the placement of the engagement ring on the finger actually somehow deactivated the part of the brain that determines good dress sense and restraint. One bride, insisted and openly promoted that her wedding was "Cindrella" themed. This included traveling in a glass carriage on a 40 degree day and I am certain there was a tulle and satin shortage in the city for some time afterwards.

I even found a website dedicated to documenting some of these atrocities, appropriately called www.uglydress.com.

Below, is one of my favourite samples from the site:

Fortunately, all of my friends who have gotten married managed to avoid the ugly-dress-total-loss-of-taste-affliction and looked beautiful, tasteful and elegant and I know Kirsten will too.

No comments: