Monday 16 April 2007

Ikea = goldilocks complex


Unfortunately, Ikea and I are just not meant to be and whenever I visit I leave with a Goldilocks complex.

Please don't mistake me here, I am not prone to breaking into bears' houses and ruining all their stuff like the original G-brat.

Yet, my trips to Ikea more often than not are the same sad story.

I always like the idea of going to Ikea, call it the effect of clever marketing. I also, like the good consumerist that I am, enjoy looking at their catalogues (particularly the one with the dirty dog, you know you know what I am talking about.. hehehehe).

Yet, time and time again once I get there (the journey is also a pain when you don't have a car) my experience tends to be frustrating and unfruitful.

Why? Unfortunately, like Goldilocks at the bears' house, two out of three things at Ikea don't fit me!

For example, Sibel and I trudged out to Ikea yesterday. My shopping list was modest. All I needed was a lamp, some pots for my plants, and perhaps some new bedsheets.

Yet the Goldilocks Complex was in full force.

I have a double-sized bed. Unfortunately Ikea only makes its sheets in Single, Queen or King. Therefore their sheets are either tooo big or tooo small and nothing is just right.

My plants have grown and need to be re-potted. All of Ikea's plant pots were either tooo big, or tooo small, nothing was just right.

I needed a small lamp for my bedroom. There were lamps that were tooo big and there were lamps that were tooo ugly but miracle of miracles I did find one that was just right. Just right that is until I got home and discovered that none of our bulbs would fit. ARGHHHHHHHH!!!

Ikea may, for some, provide affordable solutions for better living but I think I would rather hang out with the bears, at least Goldilocks always eventually found what she needed.

No comments: