Monday 12 November 2007

Royal Winter Fare On Offer


On Saturday I visited the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.

My farmer grandfather would have been proud of me wandering the sheds looking at sheep, cattle, pigs, goats, chickens and even bees. He probably would have been less impressed at my 'city girl' habit of calling all the sheep 'lamby' and patting them like I do domestic pets.

After spending some time in the 'petting zoo', with all the crazed children, it made me wonder which side of the fence the animals were really on.

We also saw sculptures made of butter, a multitude of fudge stalls and lots of other good stuff. All in all we had a great time.

Talking to a friend from home I described how the event was similar to the 'Royal Melbourne Show' without the show bags and carnival rides, to which she responded "so, without all the good bits?"

I liked focusing more on the animals than the rides but agree that a show bag wouldn't have gone astray.

No comments: