Tuesday 6 November 2007

Going Postal - not as joyous as antipated


The Canadian Dollar has been stronger than the US Dollar for some weeks now. Like many people I am dying to take advantage of this by purchasing goods from the US. Not only because the $CA is stronger but generally goods are less expensive in the US.

On Saturday I excitedly loaded up my Mastercard in anticipation of 'buying gifts for myself' from my favourite US clothing retailer online for the very first time.

Apparently my level of excitement was quite humorous to observe.

Unfortunately after spending almost two hours negotiating the website, the postal fee, and cross-border taxes - there was a LOT of swearing - I had to concede that my 'fantastic' idea wasn't feasible after all. Sigh!

Even with the stronger $CA the amount of taxes etc. to get my package into Canada meant that the sweater I had my eye on would end up costing almost $200. It is not a $200 worth sweater and I didn't adore it $200 worth.

So I abandoned by mission quite miffed.

I haven't given up I will still try to find a way to buy something while the $CA is strong, it just won't be that sweater.

No comments: