Thursday 29 November 2007

Etneral Hydra


Last night I saw the in development production of Eternal Hydra by the Crow Theatre at Buddies in Bad Times.

The piece is still in development but very polished and despite being very long (over two hours) utterly engaging.

The characters are well written to both reinforce and contrast one another with powerful subtly.

The actors do a tremendous job bringing them to life; especially the actress in the Selma role in the second act; though I will admit that for the first few minutes I found the scholar with the English accent's character to be played a little like what I called a 'She-Hugh-Grant', but in a good way.

The story arc is slow, complex but quite relentless.

The costuming, lighting and music are subdued (colour palettes of greys and browns predominantly) but highly effective and never distracting.

Without giving away anything of the plot I will say that I was left feeling that the piece is like a mirrored onion; with multiple layers that as they peel off also reflect back on one another.

I enjoyed it a great deal and would recommend it highly.

No comments: