Thursday 16 August 2007

Oui!...Paris Je T'Aime


After having wanted to for some time, I finally saw this film last night.

It features 18 stories of love, from the city of love, Paris, each set in a different part of of the city. Directed by 18 of the world's most impressive directors including Gus Van Sant, the Cohen Brothers, Wes Craven, etc.

The film has a ridiculously impressive and eclectic cast including Nick Nolte, Juliette Binoche, Steve Buscemi, Fanny Ardant, Elijah Wood, Willem Dafoe, Natalie Portman, Bob Hoskins, GĂ©rard Depardieu and Marianne Faithful.

It has instantaneously become one of my all time favourite films, but that is hardly surprising. I have an incredible soft spot for and I am going to Paris next week; short film is one of my favourite genres; I am an admirer of many of the actors and directors; and most of all at heart I am a hopeless romantic.

Naturally, I preferred some of vignettes to others - the one with the Chinese Hairdresser was so bizarre I didn't like it at all - and so many of them made me a little teary that my house mate couldn't stop laughing at me.

One moment is my ultimate favourite, it's right at the end of the film, with the American woman who speaks French with an atrocious accent. Anyone who has ever traveled to a foreign city/country alone will completely understand what I mean and acknowledge how perfectly the moment was captured.

Oui, oui, oui.... Paris T'Aime!

No comments: