Sunday 12 August 2007

Late Discovery of Calvin & Hobbs


We are all slow off the mark and take longer to discover or appreciate something that others have embraced for ages. Such is the case for me with the cartoon strip Calvin and Hobbs.

I was always a Peanuts fan, primarily because of Snoopy, and knew vaguely of the little boy and the tiger but paid scant attention. To my delight, a good friend lent me a book of Calvin and Hobbs comic strips yesterday and now I am a confirmed devotee.

Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbs cartoon strips show the antics of Calvin, an vividly imaginative six-year old boy, and Hobbes and his energetic and sardonic pet/toy tiger who only comes to life for Calvin and appears stuffed to everyone else. They were named after John Calvin, a 16th century French Reformation theologian, and Thomas Hobbes, a 17th century English political philosopher. The strip was syndicated daily from November 18, 1985 to December 31, 1995.

If you have not read Calvin and Hobbs comics I would highly recommend it.

No comments: