Wednesday 19 September 2007

Stencils in Kazimierz









Kazimierz is close to the centre of Krakow. It was named after King Casimir the Great in 1335 and from the 15th century was known as the Jewish town.

Its certainly had a checkered past including tragic events during WW2 and years of neglect.

In more recent times the area has experienced a revival and it's currently the hippest part of town for the artistic set with fantastic, atmospheric bars and other nightlife offerings.

While wandering around the area I also discovered a cornucopia of excellent stencil art. I'm told the majority of the stencils have political commentary or significance, but unfortunately I wasn't sufficiently in the know to gleam this information, I just loved them as images. I've attached a number of my favourites above.

No comments: