Monday 17 September 2007

Grzyb Hunting With Uncle Roman


On my recent trip away I added many 'firsts' to my life-list of accomplishments. One of the experiences, that I enjoyed the most, was mushroom picking or "grzyb" picking ("grzyb" is mushroom in Polish).

Grzyb picking requires patience, an excellent eye, water-proof boots, and an Uncle Roman.

Uncle Roman has the keenest eyes for grzyb imaginable; his magnificent white moustache and stylish hat; made the experience totally fun and chic.

Whenever he found a grzyb he would proclaim "ahhhhhh ha!"... it sounded so cool, that we took to imitating him whenever we made a find too, but we didn't sound as good.

Unfortunately, my ability to find grzyb that weren't Nie dobry (not good) was a bit pathetic but Uncle Roman was very patient.

Later on I asked Uncle Roman if any 'special' mushrooms grew in his forest and if so, if he had tried them. He said no, the 'special' ones are small and white and don't grow there. He laughed with a twinkle in his eye when I asked "if you haven't tried them, how come you know what they look like?"

Regardless, the mushroom scrabbled eggs we had for breakfast the next day were extra delicious because we'd found the mushrooms ourselves.

Thank you Uncle Roman!


Photo Above: Uncle Roman in action.

No comments: