Thursday 11 October 2007

Mancation - have boys will travel


In the 1950s Jack Kerouac immortalized his buddy trips in 'On the Road'.

My Dad went on fishing trips with his friends all through the 1960s, 70s and 80s. My Boss has gone on an annual camping trip with his group of friends for almost 20 years.

Men going on vacations with their friends is by no means a new thing and is probably as old as civilization itself. Aristotle, back in ancient Greece, talked about the importance of friendship. His misguided views on women's friendships I won't go into today.

The term 'mancation' is a little newer, apparently coined by Vince Vaughn in the film 'The Break Up'. I think this term is delightful.

My boyfriend is about to go on a surfing vacation with his two best friends. He is beyond excited, probably more excited than he's ever been before one of our 'couple' vacations.

I don't mind at all, I think it's great, but I have to admit being able to snicker 'Sooo... how are you mancation plans going?' gives me far more joy and amusement than it probably should.

Apparently I 'Just Don't Understand' but so long as the word 'mancation' makes be giggle it doesn't really matter if I do or don't.

Happy Mancation Boys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always called it 'gaycation' but maybe that says more about me... ooops.

Anonymous said...

you ladies are just jealous!

when women get together- it only consists of shopping and more shopping...