Saturday 14 March 2009

Public Art - Start Here

I've started the first part of my Masters in art in the public sphere.

The past two weeks were spent doing the intensive course with presentations from a vast array of areas including: projection art; new media; sound art; architecture and sustainability; commissioning models and processes; local government; and historical contexts.

We have been advised that the key to the course is to "document, document, document", which includes the expectation of a web presence. So here it begins.

Today I am also writing a paper reflecting on one element the reaffirmed and one that challenged my current notions of public art, based on my experience of the intensive program.

I am also going to start thinking about the 3 images I have to select that represent "my practice."



Bourke and Wills Monument
, Charles Summers, bronze, unveiled on 21 April 1865


Photo: Matthew Bouwmeester, 2004

Vault
, Ron Robertson-Swann, prefabricated steel, installed in May 1980

Maxims of Behaviour, Alexander Knox, kinetic light work, launched Winter 2008

No comments: