Thursday 22 November 2007

Gettting Counted... less fun far from home


Tomorrow, I am heading to the Australian Consulate General (ACG) in Toronto to cast my vote for the Australian Federal Election.

Australia's compulsory voting system, which I support, means that exercising my democratic right is a foregone conclusion.

However, casting my vote when I live in another country means forgoing all the more enjoyable aspects - that have little to do with the election - of the voting poll locations that I get at home.

No running into friends and neighbours, no ballons and streamers, no sausage-sizzle run by the local scout group, no cake stall by the local school. Not even a 'guess the number of jelly beans in the jar' fund raiser (you win the jelly beans).

It's all quite dull, arriving at the high-rise office (where the ACG is located), going into a small white room to vote, then leaving.

Maybe I should set up my own cake stall or put together a jelly bean jar to make the experience feel more authentic not only for myself but for other Aussie ex-patriots.

No comments: