Wednesday 16 January 2008

Persepolis


In the past week I read the graphic-novel and saw the animated film version of Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi.

I first encountered Satrapi's work a couple of years ago at the MOMA, NYC as part of an exhibition by female middle-eastern artists and have been a fan ever since.

The graphic-novel is delightful, the film is sublime due to the incredibly beautiful animation.

Both hold a great deal of humour; even though the subject matter is quite bleak; tracing the personal history of Satrapi growing up in Iran through the revolution and rise of the religious fundamentalist regime.

My knowledge of Iranian history is sketchy - to say the least - so seeing the film with my Iranian friend; whose own life has not been entirely dissimilar; was a treasured gift.

I loved this film and book and highly recommend them both.

TRIVIA: The film is in French. The role of the mother is voiced by famous French actress Catherine Deneuve, the grown-up daughter voiced by Deneuve's real-life daughter (with Italian actor Marcello Mastroianni), Chiara Mastroianni. I really liked that for some reason.

No comments: