Sunday 9 December 2007

Christmas cards for EVERYONE


Christmas cards have been part of the festive tradition since 1843.

I personally have been giving them out since Grade 4, when everyone gave one to everyone else in their class. Usual stuff, your best friend got the prettiest card, the boy you didn't like the religious looking one.

In more recent years, with the rise of the internet, I have become slack and for the most part make use of e-cards to send my Christmas greetings. There are however a very small handful of people (including my mother who threatens violence if I don't) whom I send a traditional hard-copy card by post.

I was at the card store recently trying to select cards for this small group. Nothing too religious, nothing too cheesy, nothing too North American (hard to explain). Making these selections is easier said than done and is getting harder due to the rise of 'specific' cards. I found cards for "Mother-in-Law", "The Boss", "For my Hairdresser", "For my Super Intendant" and my favourites "For my Dog" and "From the Dog".

Although I found them a bit strange, I wouldn't have have minded these cards, except that all the specificness had obliberated the customary nice-card-with-nothing-written-inside that is what I usually get.

I couldn't help but wonder... How many people give specific cards to their hairdressers and how many people are at home writing cards "From the Dog"?

No comments: